10.22.2008

South Texas and the Call of God

A good friend recently invited me to hunt with him in south Texas. It's a part of the world that really recharges and refreshes me every time I'm there. It is rough country, but it has a beauty that is raw and rugged. They say that down there if it doesn't bite you or have thorns, it's a rock. And that's pretty accurate.

I've wondered a couple of times what it would be like to earn a living as a writer living on a ranch in south Texas. It wouldn't be any easier than what I get to do now, but it would certainly be less complicated. Get up early, write until mid-morning or noon, and then spend the rest of the day managing the ranch for maximum deer growth, quail habitat and whatever else came to mind.

Whenever I have those thoughts, God reminds me that I'm right in the middle of what I was created for. To be Julie's husband, Emily & Joseph's dad, and pastor of LHC is as full a life as I can even imagine. I would so miss the communities that our family gets to be a part of, that we're strengthened by. I'd miss the beauty of Christ's Bride as she lives out through the people of LHC. I would miss the leadership opportunities to see and sometimes facilitate an intersection between people's gifts and passions and the needs and opportunities of the church.

Author Seth Godin relates a telling story that I think captures this idea:

It's four a.m. and I can't sleep. So I'm sitting in the lobby of a hotel in Jamaica, checking my e-mail.

A couple walks by, obviously on their way to bed, having pushed the idea of vacation a little too hard. The woman looks over to me and, in a harsh whisper a little quieter than a yell, says to her friend, "Isn't that sad? That guy comes here on vacation and he's stuck checking his e-mail. He can't even enjoy his two weeks off."

I think the real question--the one they probably wouldn't want to answer--was, "Isn't it sad that we have a job where we spend two weeks avoiding the stuff we have to do fifty weeks a year?"

Hit the COMMENTS button below and let me know what you love about what you get to do every day.


8 comments:

  1. I get to work with an amazing team of people every single day. There is nothing better than watching them all grow as leaders right in front of me. And to think that it's my job to pray for them and encourage them all along the way. What a gift!

    Chad Zunker

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that everyday is messy. Everyday is a new chance to listen and to learn and to grow. Everyday I get to find myself fighting to get out of processes and into friendships. A speaker reminded me this weekend of something that I believe is why I do what I do and why it is joyful: Our mission is Jesus and Our method is friendships. I tend to get processes (most of the time), but I am fighting for people not processes. I thank God for the opportunity to be a part of what He is doing...with the greatest people in the world and in the greatest city in the world. HAHA!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mac -

    I can identify with some of the "escapist" thoughts you shared in this blog, but I really love what I do also. This has been my best year professionally (or in the ministry). I am finding that I want to leave town less, because I enjoy day to day so much. What a gift. Why do I enjoy it?

    - Great co-workers who have become dear friends
    - Less than five minute commutes to my work
    - Seeing organizational progress . . . we're making a difference with the day to day operations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dr. Z--I agree! The gift and privilege of the call is what keeps us coming back for more. Praise God.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dan, I think you're right on the money. Makes me think about working in a computer chip clean room: sterile, white, and very dull. And, processes are great as long as they stay backseat to people.

    Aaron--great to hear from you. I know that God is blowing up what y'all are doing in Tennessee through your faithfulness. Keep on keeping on!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Funny you would write about this. I was just reading Eph. 6:1-9 and stopped to think about honoring and obeying, and the teaching of my parents. How do I act as a leader? Am I a slave to my boss, and what do the people who report to me think? As a leader I have to ask "Do I act in a way towards othes as I would towards Jesus and would I treat others the way I would treat Jesus?" Hands down, when I can reflect on this, leadership and the team just work, and all this becomes easy and fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mark, I'm right there with you--so many times I find myself thinking, "Oh, yeah, that stuff that God says actually works!" You'd think we'd learn...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Due to the waining economy, I recently found myself back in the job of clinical nursing. I chose one of the more 'inner city' of Austin hospitals to work in. I tell myself, each morning before I go in to work, "Today, I will meet at least five new patients. I can complain about my plight, or I can 'wash the feet of others', as Jesus did." What an opportunity to impact someone's life! Not everyone is kind, but everyone needs kindness. If I can reach one person, it has made my day worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete

First and Last name required: