2.05.2008

Not So Gently Into That Good(?) Knight

With the announcement of Bobby Knight's retirement in mid-season, I remember a conversation Julie and I had about him. About 4 years ago, she asked me if I'd let our son play for Bobby Knight. For fun, let's just assume that he overcomes the huge paternal genetic obstacles that stand between him and a major college basketball scholarship. I'd have to say that I would love for Joseph to learn from arguably the greatest teacher the game's ever known (other than possibly John Wooden).

I know, I know: He'd "learn" a lot about anger mis-management, profanity, and other really not-so-cool things. But, you know what? I think by the time Joseph's 18-19 yrs. old, he ought to be able to filter through all that and take the work ethic, the commitment to excellence, the expectation that he graduate, and all the other things that the whole Bobby Knight Experience entails.

Should players have to filter? No. Some of Knight's antics are just that: antics. There is no excuse for the chair, the choke, or any of the myriad tirades he's inflicted on the media and officials. Period. And there's the rub with Coach Knight. For all the good--and there's a lot--there's a noticeable amount of junk to have to wade through.

How much better could he have been without the unnecessary weight of all that garbage?

No comments:

Post a Comment

First and Last name required: