10.02.2007

Passion as Fuel

One of the great gifts of a God-given passion is that passion can fuel you through challenges and obstacles that might make you want to quit, or settle for the status quo, or do just enough to get by. Every job, vocation, occupation, and career requires work that falls outside of our given strengths and aptitudes. Sometimes those tasks even fall into the "Unpleasant" or "Mundane" categories.

But that is exactly where passion propels us through the tedious chores that every calling requires. When it's a passion and not just a task, then you're able to see the mundane or un-fun part of it as a means to an ends and more than just a job.

For me, I'm a big-picture person. Details wear me out. But I've realized through some trial and a lot of error that I have to pay attention to the details of leadership. I have to attend to management issues of staff, finances, facilities, ministries, etc. if I'm going to lead at the level God requires of me. The devil's NOT in the details. God is, and so I should be also.

When LHC was getting off the ground 10 years ago, there were a lot of details that had to be handled if we were even going to survive, much less thrive. It was in those tedious, detail-filled days when my passion for a church that redefines "church" for the city of Austin and beyond was the fuel God used to keep us going.

Question: What are you so relentlessly passionate about to the point that you would do it no matter what? Regardless of a paycheck? Regardless of what other people think about you or it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

First and Last name required: