6.04.2008

First Lessons from One Prayer

As we kicked off One Prayer last weekend, we also kicked off the era of sermon delivery via video in our church. Below is a sampling of some of the feedback we received on the video thang:

"I wasn't sure about watching the sermon, but it was great. Once it started, I was into it and forgot that it was video."
"I realized that unless I'm in the first couple of rows, I watch the screens anyway."
"It looked like Mac's eyes were two black holes--I couldn't see him."
"It was little distracting when he looked off to the sides and wasn't looking in the camera."
"I was surprised, but that works."
"I had been hesitant about being a part of LHC Downtown in the fall, but now that I've seen it, I'm in."

There is a learning curve to this and we're on it. In addition to learning from other churches nationwide that have used this strategy, we learned a few thing through this weekend (and will no doubt learn more as we go):

1. Video works. The idea of a sermon on video is tougher to describe and accept than it is to actually experience.
2. We need to improve our lighting so that the image is consistent, specifically uplighting.
3. The image that we used Sunday was produced at 24 frames/second, which is closer to how film appears, vs. video which is 30 f/sec. 24 f/sec. gives you a cool texture and is more artistic if you're shooting say a music video or a creative element to use in the service. But, for the purposes of delivering a sermon, we need to use 30 f/sec. It gives a more immediate, clearer HD picture. Both are shot and projected in HD, but you lose a lot of that at 24 f/sec.
4. The audio quality was OK--and OK is not our standard.

It's going to be a kick in the pants to see how God uses this in and through LHC in the months and years to come. If you're an LHC member, thanks for being a part of it and praying for your church (and pastor). If you're not, thank you for praying for us and the people that God is going to reach through us.

5 comments:

  1. Hey Mac,
    We're pumped that we can partner with you guys for One Prayer and that you are using the series to launch video services. It is interesting to read some of the comments about it. These are the same ones we heard when we started. You guys will do great. If we can help in any way, let me know.
    Lance Young
    LifeChurch.tv

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was at the 12:00 noon service and I have to say that while the message was good (as always!), I really did not like the video format (sorry!!). It just seems very impersonal to me. I sometimes watch the sermons I miss on the LHC website and this felt much the same, but less comfortable. I feel bad for offering negative feedback because I love this church, Mac,Julie, and all of the people that I have come into contact with, so I sure hope y'all aren't offended!
    Just keep up the good work, maybe I'll get used to the video. At least, I'll try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lance, we're really grateful to be a part of One Prayer and for LifeChurch and Craig's leading out on this.

    RedDog--first, not sure who you are, but you have a way cool handle. Second, we don't take it as "negative". Thanks for voicing a different opinion with grace and for being open to a new opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mac,

    I don't know if you will remember me from Fellowship, but I put an Aggie sticker or two on your car when you were here. Just wanted to let your folks know, I was skeptical when we started the video sermons but can know say I am fully onboard. It has been a great way to expand the reach of Fellowship church and its ministry. Most Sundays, I now watch the service in the family room in between services as I still work in the parking ministry (14 Easters in the parking lot). Tell all your troops to hang in there - God works thru video too!!


    Marlin Smith
    Dallas

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marlin! Great to hear from you. Thanks for your take on the video sermon delivery. I think for most of us, the CONCEPT is much more difficult than the EXPERIENCE of a video sermon. Take care, Mac

    ReplyDelete

First and Last name required: