3.13.2008

Spitzer

When Spring Break broke this week, I really wasn't expecting to explain to my son what prostitution is. But, the news of NY Gov. Elliott Spitzer's sex scandal gave me that opportunity.

As I watched the story unfold, his wife stand with him at two press conferences she probably never could have imagined, and 24-7 news coverage ad nauseum, a few things struck me:

No one is immune. No one can honestly or wisely say "That'll never be me."
That kind of choice doesn't get made overnight. There are always little corners cut along the way that lead to the "big" scandal.
Are there any areas in my life that need more truth and less grace. I'm not talking about real, God-given grace. I'm talking about the little self-talk lies that I can tell myself as I rationalize or explain away something that is just flat wrong.

Amongst all the hand-wringing, finger-pointing, high-fiving, and everything else, I thought Jim Cramer's response on the Today Show was maybe the most appropriate...



How do we respond personally when we see a public moral failing like this? What's the appropriate response? Should we talk about it? With whom?

2 comments:

  1. Mac,

    I am curious what you think about Spitzer's wife standing beside him at the press conferences. Some have criticized her for it.

    In one sense, I can view it as a symptom of weakness. Perhaps she is so dependent on, and subservient to, him that she felt she had no choice.

    On the other hand, I can view it as an act of love and moral strength. What if he confessed his sin to her and asked for her forgiveness? Would it not be appropriate for her to express her hurt and outrage but at the same time support him as he takes the first steps of publicly atoning for his sin (even if she were to divorce him as well)?

    Roger L. Cauvin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Roger, I didn't see any weakness whatsoever in her being there. Matter of fact, she seemed incredibly poised and resolved to me. I saw nothing in her that would indicate dependence or subservience. She carried herself with extreme dignity at a time of unimaginable disappointment and hurt in front of the whole world.

    ReplyDelete

First and Last name required: