1.13.2010

Colt McCoy & the Cultivation of Character

When Colt McCoy was knocked out of the National Championship Game on the 6th play from scrimmage, he was eliminated from the most significant game of his career so far. No meter could measure his disappointment, frustration, anger, and loss.

Yet, his comments in the immediate aftermath of that experience reveal a character and faith that doesn't just happen. You can't create it on the spot in the moment. It has to be cultivated over years. Below is a clip from his post-game comments, but below that is an interview with Colt and his dad that we taped for Father's Day last year that provides amazing insight into how he was "prepared for the path" he's currently on.

Colt After-game Interview:


Brad & Colt McCoy LHC Interview:

1 comment:

  1. That post game interview is an example of leadership and character that I hope to never forget. I am not a Longhorn...yet. (MBA hopefully) But I have always been enamored by UT football. That being said, I didn't watch the waning minutes of the game due the physical pain of my disappointment.

    To be honest, I was infuriated by Colt. "How dare a football player sit during the biggest opportunity of their lives." It is only now that I see, His plan worked because his response shook me to my core. And I am already a Christian (however flawed). I can only imagine the hearts of men and women that viewed his exclusion as the ultimate loss (The National Championship Game!?!?) while he viewed it as the next step in God's plan for him.

    Wow. I hate that I turned off the television and went to River Oaks Gym on West Gray at 11 PM to burn off that negative energy. It is clear by my reaction to his circumstances that I needed work in that area.

    ReplyDelete

First and Last name required: